Wednesday, October 1, 2008

We came into Kumasi again today to do some research at the University of Science and Technology so we stopped off to check our email too. It's been a good week and I'm really moving ahead on the research! I'm developing more ideas on how to go about collecting data. It turns out that the topic has so many facets, and the more questions I get answered, the more questions I have. It's been great, however, and I'm still trying to learn Twi. Before I left, my friend Molly gave me a good book called Mountains Beyond Moutains... it's one of the greatest books I've ever read and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's about a renowned American doctor, Paul Farmer, who has dedicated his life to treating the poor and destitute. Just through reading about his life (from the perspective of another), it has changed a lot of my opinions. That may be because of the setting I'm in right now, among people who have very little means, and yet so many problems that are beyond their control. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and if anyone else has read it or plans on reading it, let me know. I love it here in Ghana and am learning so much everyday. These people are incredibly intelligent in so many ways and I look up to so many of them. I have to run, time's up on my computer.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Drew,
Sounds like you are having some amazing experiences in Ghana,(and Germany for a day). I love reading your journal entries. What exactly is your research project in Ghana?
That book sounds really good, I am going to have to put it on my list. Stay healthy and safe!! I am looking forward to reading more about your experiences. take care :-)

Brandon said...

haha, my dad's name is Paul! I saw his name from a couple lines up and thought you were writing about him in Africa for some reason...