Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We've been having a great week here. Yesterday I finally got to interview Dr. Samuel. He is honestly one of the greatest people I have ever met. We just spent an hour talking about medicine and malaria and other things and it was a really productive and good experience. I've been able to get a lot done this week for my research, and I have a lot of typing to do to expand my notes...but enough of the boring stuff. Last week we went down to Accra and met some amazing people. The first people that were baptized into the church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) were there and one of them invited us to stay in his home in Cape Coast for a few days. We gladly accepted and over the next three days he told us his story of his faith and perseverance. It was a life-changing experience and I really loved being down there with he and his family. We went on a canopy walk in the rainforest which was just a rope suspension bridge about 70 feet up in the trees. It was really cool. We went and visited to castles, Elmina and Cape Coast that were used in the 16 and 1700s for the slave trade. It was a heart-breaking tour and the descriptions of the way the slaves were treated made me sick. The castles themselves were really picturesque on top of these hills overlooking the Atlatic Ocean. We took a lot of pictures (which I will post at a future date). We also got to go in the ocean (like bathwater) and see the beautiful town of Cape Coast. It was an amazing trip and it would take hours to write about everything we saw and did. So we have about one month of research left to go, so time to crank up the effort. I would love to hear about how any of you, who are reading this, are doing as well, so feel free to send updates through email or just post a comment on the blog.

4 comments:

Danny said...

Remind me the name of the first Latter-day Saint man in Ghana.

Danny said...

Your pictures came through! What an interesting life you are having there. The castle at Cape Coast looks beautiful...was it to house the slaves, or the slave traders? I am having a hard time finding a copy of the DVD about the first Latter-day Saints in Ghana. I know we saw it in St. Louis. Mom

Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon said...

Andrew! Those pictures are NOT real! The foto of all the fishing boats is so colorful and sureal. It sounds like your anxiety for the trip has ceased, or at least settled down as you've lost yourself in what you're doing, which is amazing I think. Keep it up man, we're proud of you over here!

Oh, and on my part, things are good. I'm playing lead in Synthesis so that keeps me busy. I'll show the guys the pictures, they'll love them.