Friday, September 26, 2008

It's been another great week in Wiamoase. I bought a djembe this week in a little village just outside of Kumasi. The village specializes in wood working and they can make some seriously amazing things! I really liked looking around at all the different animals and statues and stuff that they've carved... but the salesmen were super pushy. Anyway, I found the drum of my dreams and got it for a really fair price. It sounds great and so far everyone has liked to listen to it. Jima, one of Esther's sons (Esther is the lady we're staying with) said he has a good friend that will teach me some traditional African beats. I'm in heaven! haha. I also stopped by the Salvation Army church on the way home from buying some bread the other day to say hi to some friends there. We met these kids the first week we were here and they've wanted me to come play music with them since. So we stopped by and I got to sit in and play the drumset during one of their rehearsals... so fun. All of the songs were Gospel and Reggae mixed, something I'm not too experienced with, but great nonetheless. Other than that, my research is still going well. I got a really good book this week from Dr. Samuel on the new standards for malaria treatments, so that answered a lot of my questions, but also made me think of more. Things are great and none of us have gotten sick yet!

1 comment:

Big and Brawny said...

Gessel man! I'm vicariously living through you. Keep up man!