Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Oft-cited as the shortest scripture, John 11:35 simply reads, "Jesus wept." The next verse reads, "Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!" The him in this verse is referring to Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha. As I mentioned in a previous post about John the Baptist, I find it fascinating to read about the accounts of Jesus' interactions and relationships with his disciples. So much is given on the places he went, the miracles he performed and the doctrine he preached, that little is given on the individuals that meant so much to him.
I don't know much about Lazarus or his relationship with the Savior, but I do know that Christ wept when he learned of his passing. Although earlier in the verse, Christ testifies that through him, all will be resurrected and have the possibility of eternal life, the passing of this man struck an emotional cord in Jesus. His life was so filled with turmoil and heartache that these close friends must have been an incredible blessing of comfort and support. Again, I don't know much about his personal relationship with Lazarus, but I do know that I have relied heavily on my friends throughout my life, and thinking about going through my trials without them would give me cause to weep. I wonder what kinds of people Christ kept as close friends. I like to think they were people from all different walks of life: rich and poor, educated and uneducated, young and old, men and women. We do know a few example of people that we spent a lot of time with: fishermen, women, the sick and afflicted, those who needed help and those who were genuinely and sincerely for answers in their life. He wasn't great friends with the powerful political leaders of the time, or the rabbis who oversaw the religious instruction of the people. He chose humble and sincere people who could support and love him. I think we can learn a lot about these "Christ-like" friends.
Through his divine power and authority Christ was able to bring Lazarus back, and I think this serves as a poignant reminder that we all can receive this incredible gift of resurrection as his friends. Last weekend, as I attended Stake Conference I heard many talks about faith in Jesus Christ and how we can better develop our relationship with him. Although he is not walking among us on earth at this time, we all have an opportunity to be close friends with the Lord. I think about the people who are alive today who have a very close, personal and friendly relationship with the Lord and they possess a lot of the same qualities shown by his friends during his mortal ministry. It is so important during this life to associate with these Christ-like people so that we can also become more humble, loving and sincere friends not only to those around us, but the Christ himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gessel you are great. good post too.