Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This entry will be a little similar to the entry from last week, because this topic has been on my mind a lot in the last few weeks.
I have always been really intrigued by the parable of the Good Samaritan. The scripture is found in Luke 10:30-37. A man was traveling, and was robbed along the path. He was stripped and beaten and left to die along the path. Two men (a priest and a Levite) saw the wounded man, but passed by. At this point in the narrative, I wonder, what kind of cruel person would do that? Why would they just leave that man to die? Then I think to myself, how many times have I seen someone truly in need on a busy sidewalk and passed by. Or how many times have I had someone who just really needed to talk or be listened to and passed by, leaving them to struggle by the wayside. How many times have I let good friends make bad choices, and not said or done anything about it. I feel so often like I fit the mold of these men who passed by.
Sometimes, however, we are like the Good Samaritan. He was probably a busy man, traveling along the road for some purpose. He had places to go and things to take care of, but he noticed a man struggling on the side of the road. He was not repelled by the man's dismal state; rather, he was compelled to help. As the scripture says, "he bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him" (v. 34). What was compelling this man to chalk on an extra day onto his already long journey to help a stranger? What did he get in return? Did he ever see this man again to receive his thanks?
At this point in the story I say, well, things like that happen all the time. But then I think about the endless need versus the personal action. Everyone, no matter who we are or how well we're doing, needs a Good Samaritan on a daily basis. We all need a person to talk to, to cry with, to explain a difficult problem in our homework, to discuss spiritual matters, to give us a ride somewhere. Some of our problems are bigger. Sometimes we need money and don't know who to turn to. Sometimes we need groceries. Sometimes we need a place to stay for a night or two. A Good Samaritan understands the second great commandment, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
When I was in Ghana last semester I realized that the people there don't really hold the same time standards as we do in America. They base their days off of their interactions with people. They take time to greet everyone, even if it means being late. They will ask how their health is, how their family is doing. The majority of them realize that the well-being of their neighbor is priority. I saw daily examples of ordinary people lending their neighbor a significant amount of money when the neighbor was in need. They offer food, shelter and help to perfect strangers. Although in our world today, these kinds of things can be dangerous, I think with a change of attitude, theft would be almost non-existent.
I think about the priest in the story Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. The main character, Jean Valjean was caught stealing gold and silver from a kindly priest who offered him food and shelter. Instead of reacting in anger, the priest pretended like he had given the items to Jean Valjean so that the police would not throw Valjean back in prison. By this simple act of forgiveness and love, the priest inspired Valjean to change his life and dedicate himself to service.
The Savior, likewise, saw the best in people. He went among the lepers, the sick, the downtrodden. As is often said in my New Testament class, his mission was to the least, the last and the lost. I am grateful that he continues to look for me when I am one of the least, the last and the lost.

3 comments:

Danny said...

To me you are not the least, the last or the lost. I hope you know that for me, you are a Very Important Person. I try to react to each person I meet like I would to my kids, but many people are not willing to be friends with someone they don't know. Mom

alexismdyer said...

i read this like a week ago..

and i was late to class because i stopped to talk to someone (because i thought of this blog) it turned out that person really needed some cheering up.

so thanks AG you rock bruddah man.

Julie T said...

HiDrew! This is Julie Tanner, your parents friend who found you through Jordan Hoff., my daughter Stefanie's friend! I have loved reading over your insights this past 6 months (all today) and envy you that New Testament class-sounds like a great teacher. I also loved reading about the attitude in Ghana of showing care and concern for one's neighbor: I think that is greatly lacking in this country-we "just don't have time"!!!